Total Pageviews

Friday, December 3, 2010

Winter Poem (The Other Side of the Tracks)

The Other Side of the Tracks


"Don't be too expectant. Christmas isn't all about the gifts."
Mama's bottom lip trembles as she thinks about the year's financial shifts
No one appreciates the true sentimentality of Christmas anymore
People run to the tree and expect to see below it gifts galore
Christmas is supposed to be about Joy, laughter, and unity
But money had taken away the closeness of not only family but the entire community

I look around the house, and every potential for happiness had been drained
No longer did stockings hang, and day by day begin to fill, making the hooks strained
small tree stood in the corner, no lights or onaments to be found
Whereas just a year ago, the little tree would be covered in decorations profound
No beautiful sounds of Christmas music was to be heard or played
It was as if our financial change had caused our joy to have fallen in and decayed

I was now at a place I'd always been told of-The other side of the tracks
"Show your appreciation for what you have by giving back"
Those words finally rang strong and true in my ear
And despite my appearing strong and nonchalant, I felt run down my face a hot tear
Everything I'd always said would never happened to me was coming true
Then suddenly, something inside me awakened and finally I immediately knew
That being on the other side of the tracks wasn't necessarily a negative thing
Because these families were wealthy, despite their financial stings


I now see the beautiful moral behind this horrible catastrophe
Our family was witnessing before its eyes our own Commercial Christmas atrophy
Following this current "storm", the sun would return in a full new way
And the sentiments and love acquired could never be taken away
No matter how much monetary wealth our family lacks
We were spiritually much stronger now that we had been put on the other side of the tracks

1 comment:

  1. I teared up a bit, yes, i'm incredibly sensitive. haha but you really are talented, i love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete