Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Metaphorical Plow

My desk is desecrated by an array of hands as my homework is rotated in nearly a 360 degree angle to be viewed by all who crowded around me. Such activity is typical, especially in my AP Calc class and today was a homework check, so all the homework my class lacked was cheated off of, whether it were from me or another one of the "socially awkward" kids in our class, though I was the preferred source. Many of them pushed and jotted stuff on scrap paper to copy and make look their own. When many noticed the problems required showing of work, in which there was no way to finish and make look their own in the small time slot remaining, a plethora of curses flew from their mouths. I merely stared at the wooden desk in front of me, hating that my hard HOURS spent doing these problems neatly and accurately were going to get them A's without even remotely using their minds. As the mass of people at my desk quickly waned, I was aware that the teacher must have stepped in. Straightening my paper, I leaned back and waited to turn in my COMPLETE assignment.
Such rituals took place is 5/7 classes I took. Half being AP, I'd think one would do the work as they paid to test into it, and obviously was smart enough to pass said tests, but my assumptions were never confirmed. Coincidentally, in my only honors class, the kids work their butts off for the grade. Our teacher pumps us, makes sure we understand it. I feel so equal, happy in this class. I'm not being raked, dragged around for my useful qualities, but actually strengthening them, as it should be.
Following my AP Calc class, a group of boys surrounded me. "You shoulda let me see that work yesterday man, like I asked." Failing to respond, I continued on where I needed to be. As we parted ways, he called down the hall "Coulda helped a brother out." Little did he know, I was helping him out more than he would ever realize.


Correlation: To see the correlation between the plow and the story, think of how the plow better conveniences farmers and how the protagonist better conveniences the other children.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This is beautiful. It's so greatly written. It almost makes me sad, it's so well written, I can really feel it. Great job. My only suggestion would be to maybe mention the plow? I don't know if you maybe wanted to write the whole thing without mentioning it, that might have been the point. But seriously. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I purposely didn't mention how a plow, in it's metaphorical form was involved, but I will mention it in a footnote. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Gabby youre one of the strongest teens i know. I wouldnt have been able to stand all those annoying kids. Im glad that Ill have a chance to interact with you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is written incredibly. You truly do have a way with words. I love the metaphors in your writing.


    **You know it must be good too, cuz the three comments that you've gotten have all started in "Wow" (:**

    ReplyDelete