Total Pageviews

Monday, October 25, 2010

Welcome to the American Society!

How could one describe an American? Of course, general definitions go to say that it is one who has pilgrimmed out of their land, "put old predjudices aside", to find the freedom they are looking for. An American is integrated with other cultures to produce a society of different people, cultures, foods, etc. My personal definition is quite simple. An American is someone who has accepted the new freedoms (which is something everyone desires), yet has also realized the responsibilities that come with those freedoms. For example, an American has the right to bear arms, but with this freedom comes the responsibility of knowing that one cannot use such arms where they would inhibit another's freedoms. An American isn't necessarily someone with ALL the freedoms, but someone who was given such freedoms (and whether they have caused themselves to lose it or not doesn't matter).
To say that I had an epiphany and realized that I was an American would be quite a fallacy as I have known all my life of my American heritage, though my parents always have made known that I was also part of the African American heritage. After reading "What is an American?" and being able to construct my definition of an American allowed me better view of such a culture/heritage. I have always known I was an American and feel that my sense of joy, pride and responsibility for such a heritage which will alter as I learn more about America, what it means to be an American, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh being American, its really complicating to ENTIRELY define, isn't it? I feel like you did an incredible job of defining it though. I love reading your blogs, Gabrielle(: You are extremely talented.

    ReplyDelete